View GO Green in a larger map
Join us and connect about going green in Aventura. We’d like to hear ways you or your business are taking steps to go green. We’re looking forward to highlighting this progress, as well as sharing articles about green living.
- Auto Show Going Green:It’s time to visit the Auto Show and check out all the impressive vehicles. Almost every company has a presence – Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, Nissan, Toyota, Lexus, Ferrari, Porsche, Range Rover, and more. You can see cars that are both in and out of your budget. This year the buzz is surrounding the electric cars [...]
- Better Place – Shai Agassi:Enjoy the video presentation we collected from Youtube. It’s Shai Agassi speaking about converting entire countries to electric transportation. Part 1 of 3 Shai Agassi speaks about converting entire countries to electric transportation. Part 2 of 3 Shai Agassi speaks about converting entire countries to electric transportation. Part 3 of 3
- Global Treaty for Toxic Mercury Exempts Mascara: Few U.S. products are thought to contain mercury, but it's difficult to know because of labeling rules.
- Documentary Captures High-speed, Zero-Emissions Motorcycle Grand Prix:
What do you hope viewers take away after seeing it?
I hope people enjoy the movie as an entertaining and emotive story about a highly unusual group of characters who set out to do something extraordinarily difficult, and by and large succeeded against the odds and in spite of all the cynics. It also has an educational value. I learned a lot myself and Ive heard from engineering students at MIT and other universities that it was an inspiration to them. There are more university teams doing the race each year. If the film helps inspire a new generation of engineers it will be doing something very usefulthis technology has many applications and the world has plenty of problems for future engineers to solve.
- TV On the Front Lines of an Extinction Crisis: In Battleground: Rhino Wars, U.S. military men take on South Africas bloody rhino conflict.
- Portlandia: Because We Can Laugh At Ourselves: IFCs must-watch hit comedy returns for third season.
- TV and Film Tackle 'Fracking' Debate:
What if I told you that we have a new source of fuel? begins New York Times technology reporter David Pogue in a recent CBS Morning News cover story. Its cheap, it burns cleaner than coal, its found right here in America, and theres enough of it for the next hundred years. This fuel is natural gas and its source is gigantic deposits of shale rock from miles underground.
And more good news? Pogue reports that with our 36,000 fracking wells in America, the price of natural gas dropped by 33 percent since 2006, and supplies are plentiful enough that we are about to export it. It also can make millionaires out of struggling farmers.
In Promised Land, Matt Damon is Steve Butler, who represents a $9 billion a year natural gas company and buys rights from farmers and rural townsfolk to use their land to set up fracking wells. Problem is, the process of fracking is imperfect, and even potentially dangerous.
Sure, it's a clean and efficient resource, says the towns trusted science teacher Frank Yates, played by Hal Holbrook. But the way they go about getting it is some dirty business.
Heres how the "dirty business" works. The gas is locked inside the shale rock, so we drill about a mile down below the water line, then make a right turn horizontally before injecting millions of gallons of water and chemicals at extremely high pressures to open the rock and free the gas and oil. As Pogue points out, weve been fracturing rocks for oil for more than 60 years. But in the last decade, weve totally transformed the process by adding that horizontal business . . . all the chemicals . . . and the colossal pressure of the water.
- Volvo Car Group Makes Conventional Batteries a Thing of the Past:Volvo Car Group has developed a revolutionary concept for lightweight structural energy storage components that could improve the energy usage of future electrified vehicles.
- Tesla Model S Achieves Best Safety Rating of Any Car Ever Tested in the U.S.:Independent testing by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has awarded the Tesla Model S a 5-star safety rating, not just overall, but in every subcategory without exception.
- Pure Electric BMW i3 Premieres in New York, London and Beijing:The BMW Group debuted the series version of its innovative electric vehicle, the BMW i3, simultaneously in New York, London and Beijing on Monday.
- Smith Electric Vehicles to Open Manufacturing Facility In Chicago:Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Smith Electric Vehicles announced today that Smith will open an electric vehicle manufacturing facility in Chicago, creating hundreds of direct and indirect jobs and boosting the already rapidly growing battery and electric vehicle sector in the City.
- BMW and Toyota Partner to Develop Fuel Cells:We could all use a little more collaboration.